Thursday, October 20, 2011

Shimazu Samurai


I've been contemplating doing Samurai for many years, but haven't started them due to not having the right rule sets or lists, intimidation of painting them and just not finding the clan that really nailed it for me completely. All that has changed now with Impetus which I believe is a perfect rule set for Samurai and the Shimazu clan that totally fits the bill for me. As to painting intimidation I've decided just paint them and see how it goes instead of worrying about it all the time.
Recently I've seen fantastic Samurai armies coming from folks like Saxon Dog, Fig Man 1, Hetairoi Wargames and perusing the awesome pics on the Perry site again has really restarted my imagination for the period.
I'm not saying I'll be starting them immediately, but they have moved up on my to do list into the top 3 with ACW and Arabs. Since I don't have a imminent project due I'll likely be jumping around mostly between these three projects for the foreseeable future with a few things else here and there. 
Why choose the Shimazu clan? The reason is I really like their background as an underdog clan that is tough as old boots. While they are not a tiny clan or even what I'd term small, they are also not what I'd call a super huge clan either and this really appealed to me as I like the smaller or less well known clans more then the really big well known powerful ones. The clan will include allies from the Arima clan which is a small clan they teamed up with to defeat another larger clan. The colours and mons from these clans I also like. Some good information on them can be found here:
http://wiki.samurai-archives.com/index.php?title=Shimazu_clan
http://wiki.samurai-archives.com/index.php?title=Arima_clan_%28Hizen%29
It will mainly be under the leadership of Shimazu Yoshihisaand and his very capable brothers
http://wiki.samurai-archives.com/index.php?title=Shimazu_Yoshihiro
The picture featured above isn't the Shimazu clan, but is a picture I like and so I featured it.

12 comments :

  1. Very interesting Christopher,
    I be watching for these. Spotted the Saxon Dog stuff and it's very inspiring.
    Cheers
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow that's awesome, I haven't come across any samurai wargaming features yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Samurai especially the Sengoku period are my favourite period ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ACW is mine Angry, but Samurai are for sure in my top 5!

    Cheers
    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  5. With your painting skills I'm sure the figures will look great, when you get them, that is!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait Chris to see progress on the Samurai.

    Cheers,

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Almost scary to see how much we have in common :-) I've have the exact same thing with Samurai. I will be checking Impetus soon and even start investigating some clans. It will not need much to send out a Perry order...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, we do share quite a few common interests Michael and if you start doing El Cid, Arabs and Vikings then we will be mirror image.:-)
    I used to be a big WAB fan(still like it sometimes), but started looking around for other systems to get a different experience. I tried DBM and FOG which didn't work for me at all and COE is just WAB3 and so not for me either and then came Impetus which was everything I was looking for my ancient and medieval wargaming. Hail Caesar looks good as well and will give it a few games, but I think Impetus will remain my top pick.

    Cheers
    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  9. To add, Vikings were my first army ever painted and one of my fave periods. Consider doing a new small force for SAGA as it seems good reading from other blogs. Arabs I have, Normans, and I did the exact same US Airborne a couple of years back and also built my own Western town. See what I mean :-) I just did not put it on my blog, should do it someday. And no, I certainly do not have everything, just a lot of the same you have (and Mongols of course, you got to have them)...
    I will pick up a copy of Impetus at Crisis in Antwerp. You made me curious. Cheers, Michael

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a mirror and yes I see what you mean! :-0 I saw you have Finns on your blog which I also own, but haven't painted them yet. Oh and I also like the winter theme for pulp stuff too, but also haven't started.(LoL)
    Mongols I think are cool, but avoided them as they are not fun to play against in most systems and so were kind of a no no. However, they might work in Impetus and I've thought of doing a variant of them in the Timurids.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking forward to seeing this collection come to life.Interesting choice of Clan the mons for these will look great!

    ReplyDelete