Thursday, December 3, 2015

Ashigaru w/ Nagae-yari


Doing this unit reminded me why I took such a long break from adding more units to my Shimazu clan project.......because they are extremely hard to paint!! Granted the finished effect is very satisfying because of the pay off which is if you put the effort in Samurai armies will rewarded you with spiffy looking units because of the detail they have. I suppose I look at it as the wargamers version of running a marathon.

I've made some changes to the Ashigaru in that I lightened up the armour a shade as I felt my previous ones were a little too dark. I'm very happy with the change and I'll need to go back over the other Ashigaru and update them to look the same as these ones. I also decided to go for a slight bamboo effect on the Nagae-yari which I rather like. I mean if ones already going to paint all the darn lace then why not go the extra mile on the yari....right?

Impetus bases (my favourite btw) are great fun so I took the opportunity to pose this unit as if preparing to receive or hoping to receive a cavalry charge. Not sure how many units I'll do like this as it's not very practical on the tabletop with the extended yari, but hey I like the effect and I'll either add a spare base in front when units meet or turn them around briefly in the melee.  

Not sure when I'll do my next unit as like I said it's a marathon, but I will for sure do some more.:-)

Thanks for viewing!:-)
Miniature Company- Perry Miniatures



50 comments :

  1. Excellent, they have come out beautifully. The banners are great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Martin I appreciate the remarks.

      Christopher

      Delete
  2. Wow! Well worth all the effort as they look spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good heavens! what is that I see! Sublime brush work by Christopher that's what I'm seeing!
    Awesome and amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the very kind words Phil!

      Christopher

      Delete
  4. They are absolutly stunning !
    your brush work is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely reslt, and I agree, the effect on the spears is rather nifty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous brushwork and eye-pleasing composition, Christopher! Bamboo spears do look cool and really add depth to the stand. A whole army of these fine fellas would be sublime (to steal a word from Phil).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Jonathan! I too would like to see a whole army completed!:-)

      Christopher

      Delete
    2. I 2nd the motion (Jon's suggestion) a whole Army would be Sublime! :o)
      The banners look fantastic too!!

      Delete
    3. I think if I ever manage a whole army I might end up in a padded room!

      Christopher

      Delete
  7. Another good looking unit with a good balanced use of colour.
    Regards Gavin .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning, stunning work, Christopher! Love the banner work and basing - looks like a museum display.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Outstanding job, they look beautiful, from the base to the spearhead...Outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is beautiful work Christopher especially the mon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. bravo, beautiful unit ashigaru, and very good choice of colors

    ReplyDelete
  12. Most impressive !!!

    Best regards Michael

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, those are simply marvelous Christopher! But, I could n't paint another myself for any amount of money so I sympathise with you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much David! Ahh another veteran of the Samurai march I see.:-)

      Christopher

      Delete
  14. Hi Christopher,
    Very beautiful paintjob. The combination of the shades of brown and the light blue is great. Also the bamboo structure of the lances.
    Great!
    Cheers
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning brushwork mate! They're a simply gorgeous unit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Even if you only do one marathon a year it will be worth it, they look fantastic.
    Love the choice of colours, they really work well together and the bamboo effect is very effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Pat for your support. I'll keeping on running the painting marathon and who knows maybe I'll manage more then one a year.:-)

      Christopher

      Delete
  17. Stunning painting and basing Christopher!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Christopher,
    Superb unit !!! The base is very nice too !!!
    Nikko

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great work Chris and I'm looking forward to see them up close.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooh, those are lovely... Well done, Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely Christopher, very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautifully painted minis with very interesting and colourful bases Christopher. I think a lot of people are put off painting Japanese Renaissance period stuff because of the details such as the armour lacing etc. Oh and I like the bamboo effect on the yari. Super livery colour scheme as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Peter I appreciate your kind words of support. The fears everyone has of painting Samurai are......completely justified!:-) Simply put if one wants to produce a decent looking Samurai figure it's going to cost one some elbow grease because of the lacing, armour plates and design patterns on their clothes. If somebody knows a short cut in getting good results with Samurai I'm all ears.:-)

      Christopher

      Delete