Tuesday, September 8, 2015

A lovely holiday in Scotland!

The amazing Eilean Donan castle.

Well actually I've been back for several weeks or so, but I've been quite busy with work leaving me a bit tired for postings and commenting plus I just wanted to relax, paint, and catch up on some Netflix. However, I'm now ready to get back in the swing of things and I will over the next few days do my best to catch up on what everyone has been doing on their blogs and do a few more posts of my own. Scotland was fantastic and we enjoyed ourselves very much! Truly stunning landscapes that had us snapping pictures left and right and the people were so very kind. I would have liked to meet up with some of the follow wargamers who live in Scotland, but with the family and so much to see and do I really had no chance to even attempt this. However, we will for sure visit Scotland again as we so enjoyed the experience and this time I'll make sure to meet up with as many wargamers as possible.

No question this visit has really perked my interest in Scotland's history and has me thinking of going back to my Montrose army or even starting a new period with Claymore Castings excellent range, but I'll need to think it over as I already have several projects on the go and I don't want these to fall at the wayside.... ahhh decisions.......

We took a lot of pictures, but this post would be become ridiculously long if I filled it with all the ones I liked so I'll limit it to just a few highlights.

Looking at one of the lovely Loch's from inside Eilean Donan castle.
Culloden Battlefield is beautiful and a bit eerie. I highly recommend a visit as the visitor centre and  battlefield are very well done.
    
My daughter enjoying the fantastic Tattoo Military parade
To hear all those bagpipes playing at once was a moving experience.
The impressive Edinburgh castle with Tattoo parade set up next to it.

A panoramic view of Edinburgh from Edinburgh Castle

A typical lovely view of many places in Scotland
Aboard the majestic Royal Yacht Britannia

Inside the ruins of Urquhart Castle overlooking Loch Ness.
A perfect picture of Scotland imho with my daughter next to a gentlemen bagpiper in Urquhart Castle with Loch Ness in the background and rolling mountains completing the picture.:-)


Stopping to enjoy yet another beautiful view.
Come here daddy I need a hand rest.
Stunning isn't it.
My better half very happy with what she is seeing.
The very cool Stalker Castle.
Always wanted to see a Claymore up close and now I have. I can well understand why it has a fearsome reputation. Interesting thing is they labelled the Claymore simply as "Two handed weapon" and called the basket hilted broadswords "Claymore's"? I assume this was a overlooked mistake or am I wrong? 
Had to have a picture with Robert the Bruce of course, but as you can see my daughter is less interested.
My daughter getting into the spirit of things at the Bannockburn Visitor Centre. I was a bit surprised to find out the actual battlefield is still a mystery and a matter of debate.
Old Stirling bridge near the original Stirling Bridge which is actually underwater.
Wallace Monument.
Game of golf anyone?
From one of the several wildlife parks we visited.
Yep, it really is that pretty.
Approaching Dunstaffnage Castle.
Inside Dunstaffnage Castle ruins.

Enjoying a boat ride while viewing a map.

On top of a boat having fun!

One of the many Loch's and all are lovely to one degree or another.
Couldn't resist adding another picture of Eilean Donan castle.:-)



34 comments :

  1. Welcome back ,Christopher!

    Fantastic scenery in a beautiful country. I know exactly what you mean when travels spark an interest in a new gaming period. I say, don't fight the urge! Indulge yourself in an ECW project.

    Thanks for sharing your travelogue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and it is indeed a lovely country! I probably will re-start my Scots Royalists ECW project.:-)

      Christopher

      Delete
  2. Great post Christopher, glad you had a great holiday up there and returned unharmed from that wild and remote part of the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and managed to make it home intact and full of memories.

      Christopher

      Delete
  3. Your photos remind me of Ireland (My wife is Irish) - visited her family and friends at County Mayo (Westport) and Clare Island...anyway... Great photos of Scotland and welcome back Christopher & Family! ... and :o) keep working on your current projects!

    cheers,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if Ireland is anything like Scotland then I'll for sure have to visit that too! I live in Bavaria and love it. It's a bit like Scotland without as many lakes so I'm not surprised I liked it so much. I'll do my best to stay on my projects, but I can't promise I won't drift.

      Christopher

      Delete
  4. What beautiful photographs, you clearly had a fabulous time - memories to last a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and we sure did have a fabulous time!

      Christopher

      Delete
  5. Cracking pictures sir, really fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fran and glad your back on the blogs again!

      Christopher

      Delete
  6. Welcome back Chris! Looks like you and yours enjoyed the trip. Some fantastic pics and for once I feel the urgent need to visit Scottland one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Nick and we enjoyed ourselves immensely! I highly recommend you do visit as it's utterly inspirational!

      Christopher

      Delete
  7. You have a good eye with the camera Christopher, your pictures make a good advert for Scotland. Looks like you had a fantastic holiday and a nice bonus visiting all those castles and battlefields.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat and if this helps anyone visit Scotland then I be very happy! We sure did have a fantastic holiday and if like me castle's are your thing then Scotland will not disappoint!!

      Christopher

      Delete
  8. Lovely photos Christopher! Scotland is a magic place to visit, when we went there we visited the Orkneys which I'd highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I couldn't agree more Scotland is indeed magical. I couldn't make it up to the Orkney's this time, but next time I'll make a concerted effort to do so.

      Christopher

      Delete
  9. Very nice pics of a special land, and how wonderful to be with your loved ones .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a special and it was great to have my family with.

      Christopher

      Delete
  10. A good advert for all Scotland has to offer Christopher! You all look as if it was a great holiday! Next time the first Saturday in August is usually the Claymore show in Edinburgh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David and I hope people go! Next time I'm in Scotland I'll try and make my visit at around the same time as Claymore.

      Christopher

      Delete
  11. Welcome back! Seems like you had an amazing trip there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely! I think you're giving me a travel bug :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I hope the bug leads you to Scotland.

      Christopher

      Delete
  13. "A claymore (/ˈkleɪmɔər/; from Scottish Gaelic claidheamh-mòr, "great sword")[1] is the Scottish variant of the late medieval two-handed longsword. It is characterised as having a cross hilt of forward-sloping quillons with quatrefoil terminations. It was in use from the 15th to 17th centuries.

    In later years (1700s onwards) the word claymore began to be used in Scotland and parts of England to refer to basket-hilted swords." (from Wiki)

    Nice pictures.. Stirling is just up the road from where my Dad lives (nice castle too).. trust a suitable amount of Scottish ale was drunk?? :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always thought of the Claymore as the earlier interpretation of the two-handed sword and the basket hilted broadswords as well broadswords. I wasn't aware they started calling a broadsword a Claymore.Thanks on the pics and I'm sure your Dad is very happy where he lives as it was lovely there.

      Christopher

      Delete
  14. Stunning photos Christopher. I didn't see any of Nessie though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and it seems Nessie wasn't interested in taking photo's!

      Christopher

      Delete
  15. Lovely photos Christopher, thanks for posting them!

    I visited Scotland ten years ago and I'm definitely planning to go back there some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There is no question I'll be going back someday too!

      Christopher

      Delete
  16. Glad you had a nice time Christopher, maybe bump into you next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and we did! I very much would like to meet next time I'm there Paul.

      Christopher

      Delete